Hi all,  I have a couple of questions.

I just rsynced my home folder off to another drive.  The trackpad and keyboard
are going in this mackbook aftern nearly five years and I'm leaning towards
mobile for everything.    First question.  After Rsync, the backup home folder
was just over 100 gig while the original was about 195 gig.  I have checked,
and based on the sizes, documents, downloads, music, and all of the other
folders I regularly use copied in tact.  I combed through pretty carefully, but
was unable to determine where the space discrepancy occurred.  On the other
hand, my home folder is reporting 195 gb in size, my free disk space seems to
be around 100 gb, and my apps and other system files haven't been taken into
account.  So, Either something is wrong with my file system, or my 250 gb ssd
has been visited by the space fairy.  Disk utility says the disk is OK though
there were over 1100 permission errors which I am now fixing.  Should I be
worried about this?  ...especially in lite of my second question.

I am pretty terrified of elcap, but if this system is on it's way out, I want
to scrub this ssd clean and install a brand new instalation of elcap.  I don't
want to use the latest and greatest myself, but I don't want my personal data
going out with the computer.  Does apple let ordinary people do such a thing?
My current instalation is 5 or 7 years old.  No word of a lie.  It started at
snow leopard I thinkg.  That was the last instalation disk I got from apple
ever, and since then I've siply installed any upgrades I wanted right over top
of the old stuff.  I've even transfered this install between several macs that
I owned at various times.  Since I'm preparing for the worst, it would be worth
it to me to scrub this system if I can do that and keep yosemity.

I'm hoping there's some option in recovery manager or somewhere that will let
me whipe everything and make a clean install.

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Erik Burggraaf
Freelance jack of many trades!  Visit my website:
http://www.theoutofworkbum.work
Also check out my website for inclusion to the android platform for persons
with sensery, physical or cognitive disabilities:
http://www.inclusiveandroid.com

list.