Skype For Business was formerly Microsoft Lync 2013, before which it was
Microsoft Lync 2010, and before that
Microsoft Office Communicator. Recent versions of this evolving application
have appeared visually more like
Skype, though under the hood they have remained more like Lync. From an
accessibility standpoint, I consider
them completely different applications.

Another difference is that Skype For Business (SFB) requires a server to be set
up and is thus generally found
in office environments, where the server is set up by the company for the
employees to use. Skype is more
decentralized and requires no such administrative setup.

Continuing with the office-centric paradigm, SFB can interface with Outlook,
calendars, etc., to create a more
seamless environment for managing contacts, meetings, record keeping, and so
on. Skype can interface with
contact lists, but to my knowledge not anything for managing email,
meetings/appointments, etc.

Hth.