Mary, there are some watches now that have this feature that simon speaks of.
You’re exactly right a radio would need to be included.  For the watch, not
necessarily full LTE but HSPA+ or something may do the trick.  The Samsung Gear
had a 3G radio included and I’m not sure what’s in the Gear S2.  With a Samsung
you could run the watch totally separate from the phone.
        I personally think this is an over rated feature unless you’re like
simon and want a watch only for a phone and no other device.  I like the larger
devices so would always use my phone near my watch so all I care about is a
good bluetooth and WiFi stack on the watch.  I’d like to see the 5 GHZ band
added to the watch and the ability to set the WiFi settings separately with
advanced features.  There were rumblings of adding a full cell feature to the
apple watch but I don’t know if that was included in the upcoming release.

list.