From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, 9 September 2016 5:30 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com; VIPhone 'RobH. ' via
<viph...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: AirPods hands-on: They stayed in my ears and sounded awesome

Here is some more on the air pods. They will work with your Mac or your iPad or
other iPhones that are logged in to the same iCloud as your new iPhone  AirPods
hands-on: They stayed in my ears and sounded awesome
Macworld  /  Susie Ochs

I didn’t want to like the AirPods<http://www.apple.com/airpods/>, I really
didn’t. But in the hands-on area after Apple’s iPhone 7 event on Wednesday, I
found myself dancing along in spite of myself—and the AirPods stayed put,
feeling surprisingly secure. With convenient features on both the hardware and
software sides, I have to admit that Apple’s totally-wireless AirPods kind of
rocked my world.

When they’re in your ears, the AirPods kind of look like the old wired EarPods
that someone snipped the wires off of. The earbud part fills your ear just as
before, and a plastic stem hangs down a bit below your earlobe. They’re the
same general shape as the EarPods and made from the same hard white plastic.

Now, that plastic has been a deal-breaker for me for years—I hate how normal
EarPods feel in my ears. They don’t seem like they’re going to stay put, and
they simply fall out if I move my head too much. Even if they do stay in, after
about a half hour, my ears just start to ache, although I don’t experience the
same pain when using earbuds with silicone or foam tips. Since the AirPods look
so similar, I expected them to feel the same too—and I’m surprised and happy to
report that I was dead wrong.

Not only did I dance, I headbanged. I shook my head side to side, I tossed my
hair, I jogged in place, and I looked silly doing all of it. The AirPods stayed
put, and they stayed loud. The music (more Sia, naturally) sounded full and
lush and I couldn’t hear a single word anyone around me was saying, as if I was
completely sealed off in a bubble of rock and roll. Pretty impressive.

For Apple devices only

The AirPods’ special features are pretty impressive too, even though that
specialness means they only work with Apple devices. You don’t need a brand-new
iPhone or Apple Watch to use them, but they only support Apple devices running
the latest operating systems: iOS 10, macOS Sierra, and watchOS 3. The AirPods
use Bluetooth, so you would think maybe there’d be a way to pair them to an
Android phone or an iOS 8 device since those have Bluetooth too, but there’s no
button on the AirPods to put them into pairing mode. We’ll test to confirm when
we get review units, but it seems like the AirPods will only be “seen” by Apple
devices.
[Image removed by sender. airpods playback]Susie Ochs

When the AirPods are in your ears, your paired iPhone will play to them
automatically. See the little AirPods icon?

When you first flip open the glossy white carrying box—which looks like the
most high-tech pack of TicTacs ever—you’ll see a screen on your nearby iPhone
offering to pair. (That’s just the first time; you won’t have to do this every
time you want to use the AirPods.) Once you’ve paired them to your iPhone, you
can also use them the Apple Watch that’s paired to your iPhone, as well as with
any iPad and Mac that’s signed in to the same iCloud account. I didn’t get to
test how seamless it is to switch between devices, but the idea is, you can
pause music on your iPhone, start playing songs stored on your Apple Watch, and
the AirPods will just switch.

Each AirPod has infrared sensors, so they know when they’re in your ears or
not, and an accelerometer so you can double-tap either AirPod to invoke Siri.
They don’t have any traditional buttons, unlike some Bluetooth headphones: No
on/off switch, no pairing button, no play/pause or call-answering buttons, and
no volume controls. Instead, you can double-tap to get Siri—this pauses your
music, but you can at least say “turn up the volume” without fishing out your
iPhone to turn it up on that device. It’s a lot more awkward than just having
volume controls built in.

Removing one AirPod from your ear while music is playing will automatically
pause it, perfect for interacting with a cashier, barista, or nosy passerby who
has questions about your AirPods. The auto-pausing effect is incredibly cool—I
wish all my headphones did this. Just don’t remove both AirPods, or the audio
playback will automatically switch back to your iPhone’s speakers, leaving you
scrambling to pause it.

Power to go

The charging case is pretty neat on its own, too. It’s got a Lightning port in
the back, and you can charge just the case on its own or the AirPods inside the
case. That’s right—while the AirPods themselves get about 5 hours of playback
per charge, according to Apple, the case has a battery, so you can top off on
the go. The case has enough juice for about 24 hours of playback, Apple says,
which means you could recharge the AirPods nearly five times before you have to
plug the case into a power adapter or USB port to recharge. Apple says that
popping the AirPods into the charging case for 15 minutes will get you another
3 hours of music—a tiny green LED inside the case lets you know the AirPods are
charging. Keeping wireless headphones charged can be a major pain point—running
out of battery mid-workout or mid-commute is the worst, so this could be a good
solution.
[Image removed by sender. airpods]Susie Ochs

Even though they look like the old EarPods with the wires removed, I found the
AirPods much more comfortable.

The AirPods have a W1 chip inside to enable all this intelligence, and Apple
built the same chip into a new lineup of Beats headphones too. The Beats Solo3
Wireless are over-the-ear headphones that have a more complete set of on-ear
controls and 40 hours of battery life, available now for
$300<http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100laKZ/Pubref:MW/destination:http:/www.apple.com/shop/product/MNEN2LL/A/beats-solo3-wireless-on-ear-headphones-gloss-black>.
 The fitness-focused Powerbeats3 ($200) and everyday BeatsX ($150) launch later
this year.

As for the AirPods themselves, sadly, they won’t launch with the iPhone 7.
They’re due later in October, sold separately for $159. That’s steep compared
to other Apple-branded earbuds—the company’s most high-end wired earbuds topped
out at $99—but much more reasonable compared to wireless Beats or other
high-end wireless models. iPhone 7 early adopters can use any Bluetooth
headphones, of course, and Apple is also including two more solutions in the
box: a wired pair of EarPods that connect to the iPhone’s Lightning port, and a
Lightning-to–3.5mm adapter that lets you plug any standard wired headphones
into the Lightning port.

We’ll have a full review of AirPods as soon as we can, and we’ll compare them
to Beats and other wireless options in the same price range. Until then, any
questions we can answer? Let us know in the comments.

Original Article:
http://www.macworld.com/article/3117706/headphones/airpods-hands-on-they-stayed-in-my-ears-and-sounded-awesome.html#tk.rss_all

Sent from my iPhone
list.