I’ve been a PC user for nearly 30 years.  I’ve been through DOS and all the
flavors of Windows.  The first PC screen reader I used was made by IBM and I
don’t remember the name.  I had Artic Business Vision after that, then Vert,
then Vocal-Eyes before moving to Windows where I was a happy devotee of
Window-Eyes until I was forced into JAWS by work.  On my hopefully soon to be
retired home PC I now use NVDA and it’s more than good enough for what I do at
home.  I got my Mac this March.

But here’s the interesting thing.  Even though I still have to use a PC for
work more than 8 hours a day and maybe get 2 or 3 on the Mac, I find myself
expecting the PC screen readers to work like Voiceover and being disconcerted
when they don’t..  I find myself trying to use Mac keystrokes on the PC more
than I make the reverse mistake.  Editing still trips me up a bit, but overall
I am finding the Mac so much more comfortable to work with over time that I
wish I could use it all the time.  There are still things that need work, but I
think we’re approaching critical mass, where enough people are using it that
the remaining shortcomings will be addressed.  It never happens fast enough,
but it will happen.

Larry Thacker Jr.
http://www.lionsrealm.net <http://www.lionsrealm.net/>
http://twitter.com/lthackerjr <http://twitter.com/lthackerjr>