The iPod 6 came out in July of 2015, so it's not really all that
outdated. I also suspect it will run the next iOS major release next
year, but that could very well be the last one. I really hope if they
discontinue the 6, that they will be replacing it with a newer model
instead of dropping it off of the market. When the Watch can run iOS
entirely, and only then, would I consider it a viable replacement. I
have no interest in a bulky iPad myself, but know I'm in the minority.

Scott

list.