If you’re using the regular version and non beta which I assume do the
following.

First, backup your machine.  Use time machine to do this either with a
removable disk or with a network attached disk.  If you don’t have the means to
do that then at a minimum back up your critical files like images, documents
and so forth to external storage.  Either way make sure your critical info is
stored elsewhere for the upgrade.

Go to your app store and enter in Sierra in the search box, or alternately look
under the featured apps and select sierra.  Quick on download / install and
wait for the file to download.  Once it downloads y you’ll be prompted to
install. Follow the prompts.  You’ll have to periodically turn voice over back
on with a command F5 as things restart and so forth but that’s fine if voice
stops just click command F5 until you hear voice over on.  Follow the prompts,
and once done you’ll be upgraded.  The key is to just follow the directions the
installer issues and you should be good to go.

Good luck.