First if you have not done so, go into Bluetooth preferences and select the option to put it in menu extras. Then its easy to access your Bluetooth devices.

In the past what used to work reliably for me was to turn the Bluetooth device on first then boot the Mac. Try that.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
  Without H2O there is no life!