Hi,

The assessment of the safety hazard level with or without the extender is a
matter of the individual situation.  If the charger will reach the wall outlet
and be connected to the computer without having the cord be up in the air, or
not in the direct path of movement, then it is fine without the extender.  If
the extender creates a tripping hazard because it is coiled up and too long for
the connection, that also can be problematic.  The fine fibre cabling between
the brick and the MagSafe connector can also get frayed quite easily with lots
of use and therefore, you should replace the charger at that point.  I've
started having one for home and one for work so that they last longer from not
needing to be wrapped up daily.  Of course, this means I have to remember to
take one of them when I go out of town for work.  Needless to say, I've
forgotten it once, bummer.

Oh well, I digress.

Later...
.