Hi Eric,

I want to thank you for putting that DD commandline out there, I worked for
many years at AT&T Bell laboratories were all development work was done on UNIX
systems and I completely forgotten about the DD command. Nice to have a
refresher.

Paul,

Eric is making a very sound suggestion here, the IF=/dev/zero parameter in the
suggested command line is a UNIX standard for writing null data to the output
file (OF=).

And Paul, if you have no useful vision at all I suggest you read this message
character by character so that you will realize that the command line options
in Eric's message are actually symbols rather than spelled out words.
************
- Sent from Bill's iPhone 6 (iOS 10.0.2)

> On Dec 9, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Eric Oyen <eric.o...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> well, you could always use dd. The command I would use is: dd if=/dev/zero
> of=/dev/<specific device here> and then let it run. it might take a while to
> erase, but there will not even be partition information on there afterward.
> after that, you can use disk utility to repartition and format that usb
> device.
>
> -eric
>
>> On Dec 9, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Paul Hopewell wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> Further to my earlier post about erasing a folder without going via trash…..
>>
>> I I am running the latest El Capitan on my late 2008 iMac.
>> I have a 256 GB memory stick with I have used as a time machine backup disk
>> with encryption. I have also used it as the target disk for a SuperDuper!
>> backup of my iMac.
>> The experience was not entirely satisfactory as 256 GB is not enough for
>> more than a couple of time machine backups and a SuperDuper! backup. Also
>> both time machine and SuperDuper! backups were very slow, much slower than a
>> USB attached external hard disk drive.
>>
>> So I now want to empty the 256 GB memory stick and reuse it for other
>> purposes. I first tried using disk utility to erase the disk but that did
>> not work as it said I did not have the authority to do the erase.
>> I then tried erasing each folder with Command+Ottion+Delete. That took a
>> long time and also did not work.
>>
>> I note the posts about using terminal commands. I am not familiar with that
>> so am rather nervous about using it. I am also wondering about the effect of
>> my having originally used the memory stick for an encrypted time machine
>> backup with the password saved in the keychain. How do I mark the memory
>> stick as not encrypted?
>>
>> In summary I want to restore the memory stick to its original empty
>> unencrypted state. What do you recommend?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Paul Hopewell

>> Visionaries list.

>> macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com and your owner is Cara Quinn - you