I have to revise my prior post on this.

VO-t does work.  The reason it wasn't working for either of us is that the
vo-cursor wasn't on the text in question.  Some times the vo cursor doesn't
track with the insertion point.  So when you use vo-t, always rout vo to
insertion just to be safe.  When the verbosity settings are turned on, vo
speaks the attributes correctly as you move the insertion point.