Yes, that has been thee strategy.  However, they announced a major change in
course a few months ago in regards to the mac pro.
Here is a link I got just from googleing new mac pro:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-mac-pro-2018-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-features-specs-3536364/

<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-mac-pro-2018-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-features-specs-3536364/>