Hello Gabe,

Open VoiceOver Utility, go down to Navigation. Navigate right to Mouse pointer
and press VO-Space on the pop up button to the right, and set it to Ignores
VoiceOver cursor.
It sounds as though you also need to switch the way the function keys work by
doing what I recommended to Kevin. In case you’ve lost that message, here’s
what to do.
Go into System Preferences and select Keyboard. Select the first tab, Keyboard,
then use the Item Chooser (VO-i) to find the Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard
function keysv checkbox and check it.

Cheers,

Anne