Hi,

To add to Simon's comments, if you don't hear VO when in the Recovery
partition, you can use VO-cmd-left or three times, then VO-cmd-up to raise the
volume.  Don't know for sure if this rotor command has changed in the High
Sierra version of the Recovery partition.  If so, then you'll need to add the
shift key to the combination.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada