Interesting issue. PDF accessibility is a field I know just a little about.
Basically there is a way to tell screen readers  about the logical layout PDF
documents. This is an international standard called PDF-UA. It allows the
screen reader to know about tables and their headers. I am not sure about the
quality of the PDF interpretation of "tags" that are required to provide PDF-UA
in the current Macintosh environment as I generally switch to windows to read
PDF documents.
First thing I would do is ask your bank if the statements are PDF-UA compliant.
You might want to try the vo-down keystroke to see if that changes the reading
of the tables.
PDF does get quite confusing because there are essentially three levels of
accessibility of PDF documents and then every system seems to have its own
level of use of accessibility.

You could try downloading Adobe Reader for Macintosh. If you open one of the
bank statements with that while VoiceOver is running and you get a dialog about
the document being untagged, then most likely the bank is not meeting the
PDF-UA standard.

HTH<

Jonathan Cohn