Well, I can't explain why, other than to say the very same error I would
get over and over turned up lots of web search results of other people
experiencing the same thing.

I found one posting that said something like: "Failed the first time,
failed the second time, failed the third time, worked the fourth time."

That was about it for me.

The worst part of the entire process is that I discovered I couldn't
leave it alone. Were I to set BootCamp running and walk away to do
something out of my office, e.g. laundry, I would come back and find a
"BootCamp Busy" message on the screen that I couldn't get out of.

Apparently, there's a time out for entering your password at the various
points when BootCamp prompts for a password. If you're too slow
responding to that, BootCamp blows up and you have to start over again.
At least, that's how it worked for me. I found this utterly frustrating.
I hate babysitting computers.

Janina