Hi,

To add and clarify, I just tested and you can do a double-tap then press firmly
for this to work as well.  Make sure that the double-tap is fairly quick and
that you press firmly on the second tap.  Again, the firm press needs to be
quite quick on the second tap, otherwise, the 3D Touch will not engage.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada