Why Apple's iPhone X Is Its Best Smartphone Ever

Apple’s iPhone X Is Packed With New Features
Prices start at $999.
Play Video
By DON REISINGER February 2, 2018
Over the last several weeks, there’s been a steady drumbeat of reports that
Apple’s iPhone X is a loser. They’re all wrong.

Those arguments against the iPhone X were punctuated on Thursday when Apple
announced that iPhone sales didn’t meet the Street’s expectations—even if the
iPhone division led it to record profits. Apple’s earnings followed reports
that it’s significantly cutting iPhone X production and will cut short that
production later this year due to flagging demand.

Regardless, it is my firm belief that Apple’s iPhone X is the best smartphone
the company has ever released.

I’ve owned every major iPhone release since the handset’s launch in 2007. The
original iPhone was groundbreaking and made me feel I’d finally seen the
future. And although each new iteration wasn’t necessarily better than the
last, small annual improvements generally led to a better user experience.

When I got my hands on the iPhone X last year, I was suspect. The device had a
dramatic redesign, a new biometric feature in its Face ID face scanner, and
required Apple to change its software design to overcome the lack of a physical
home button. I was sure it would have a glitch that would make me rethink my
purchase.

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter

But now months later, I’ve yet to find a major flaw in the iPhone X. In fact,
the one quirk I can take issue with centers on the power button and mistakenly
taking a screen capture when I accidentally press down the power and volume up
buttons simultaneously. Yes, that is my biggest complaint.

Apple’s iPhone X has the best screen of any iPhone ever released—notch and
all—and I’ve been impressed by its power and ability to handle even the most
resource-intensive apps. Add that to its wireless charging, a Face ID feature
that works exceptionally well, and a design that oozes quality, and I’m
hard-pressed to find a problem.

I’ll even go one further. I’ve yet to find an Android device that comes close
to meaningfully matching Apple’s smartphone across the board. Sure, there are
some Android smartphones that have a better this or better that, but
collectively, there’s nothing better than the iPhone X. I should also note that
in addition to my iPhone X, I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 and have either reviewed
or used in my daily life a variety of Android-based smartphones. They can’t
match iPhone X.

The iPhone X is expensive. But it’s not hard to dust off an old handset and
trade it in to defray some of that cost. And since carriers are offering
monthly plans on the iPhone X, you don’t really need to come up with $1,000 or
more at once just to get the handset.

When Apple unveiled the iPhone X last year, the company called it the “future”
of smartphones. I’m inclined to agree. The iPhone X might not be perfect, but
it’s about as close to perfect any Apple handset has ever come.

So if you’re in the market for a new smartphone, consider the iPhone X. You’ll
be happy you did.

Maria Reyes
Owner of the Apple 411 list:
apple411+subscr...@groups.io
Click this link to join the Apple 411 WhatsApp group:
https://chat.whatsapp.com/0bMtIrmqoyzJwnbRjqjPsO