It's worth noting that the user interface of Microsoft Word for Mac (which
seems to be quite accessible with VoiceOver) is different from that of the
Windows version. So, having used the Windows version before won't provide much
of an advantage in working with the Mac version.

I generally write in LaTeX or Markdown using a text editor, then convert the
document into whatever format I need. On the Mac, TextMate has proven to be
fairly accessible with VoiceOver. It was recently pointed out on another list
that TeXShop (specialized for writing LaTeX, and available by installing
MacTeX) works well with VoiceOver too.