One of my accounts needs to be accessed via Microsoft Outlook (i.e., the
Exchange support in Apple Mail won't work with it).

Fortunately, Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac is quite accessible. I notice,
however, that some functions are tedious to perform via the keyboard. A good
example is selecting a folder from a list. I can use Ctrl-Option-Up/Down-Arrow
keys to get there, but typing letters when VO is focusing on the list
doesn't work.  Nor does Item Chooser - it tries to retrieve a long list of
items and never completes building its menu.

Is there another, more efficient way to choose folders in Outlook for Mac?

Of course, I can always use the Windows version, but that isn't the point for
purposes of the current discussion.