Hi,

A couple of things.  Google makes it difficult to use their web apps due to the
ever changing nature of their coding of the apps.  Basic accessibility is
always present, but the more interactive nature of these apps is not always
quite so friendly.  I would first make sure that you always ensure that
Accessible mode is enabled.  Second, actually working within the editable area
is often a challenge.  I suggest that when using VO, just use arrow navigation,
no VO keys.  If focus is in the editable area, when you arrow down or up,
you'll be navigating line by line.  Right/left goes character by character.
Add the Option key to the right/left action and you can go word by word.  There
is also a link, or button, that reads something about "Editing" that when
pressed, often makes sure that focus for the cursor is in the editable area.
The other thing that I find useful is to use a combination of tools.  ChromeVox
in Chrome often allows you to get at editable items more easily as well as many
of the menu actions.  Using a combination of ChromeVox, Chrome, VO and Safari
often gives you the most success.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher