I have used various voices on my iPhone to read Kindle books ever since this
was possible. Since getting a braille display I use that mostly but there are
times when I still use speech. Samantha is a particularly good voice for
reading I think.

I tend to choose a voice I feel will best fit the book I’m reading. For
instance: I was reading Mary Poppins earlier so decided on Serena. Now I’m
reading an American book so am using Samantha. I love the choices I have!

All the best
Angie

> On 16 Apr 2019, at 05:26, M. Taylor <mk...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I love the iOS Kindle App because it works so well with my Focus 40 Blue
> Braille display.
>
> However, for whatever reason, until recently, I've never used the VoiceOver
> Samantha TTS engine to read an entire novel in the Kindle app.
>
> Not long ago, I was searching for a book in Audible, because it is not
> available on BARD or on Over Drive, and found it.  The price of the audio
> book was $19, $17 in Apple books.  Since the audio length of the book was
> just over 5 hours, I decided to see if a Kindle edition was available.  Yes,
> it was and for a mere $1.99.  So, I purchased the Kindle version and used my
> beloved Samantha TTS engine to read the novel.
>
> After I finished the Kindle version, a friend of mine purchased the audible
> version.  So, I decided to give it a quick listen to see if I would like the
> book any better or less with a human narrator at the proverbial helm.
>
> You know what?  I discovered that I actually preferred the Kindle version
> wit the TTS engine, better.  The funny thing is, I am absolutely certain
> that I would have thoroughly enjoyed the human narrator edition had I not
> experienced the TTS engine rendition, first.
>
> Now I'm certainly not saying that a TTS engine is better than a human
> narrator but I am saying, that for  me, at least, a TTS engine is definitely
> a viable option for reading novels, especially when it comes to saving a few
> dollars.
>
> Mark

> list.

> caraqu...@caraquinn.com