I still use a Time Capsule, but in bridged mode for exclusive use as a wireless
access point, with my own Linux box as router doing PPPoE to a VDSL modem. This
overcomes the chief limitation of the device, which is translation speed beyond
about 300 MB/s. My bandwidth does not yet exceed 80 down 20 up yet, though, so
this is not needed for simple Ethernet connections and if I had cable I would
still be using TC exclusively.  Wireless coverage in my flat isn’t the issue:
the TC works great even at 5 GHz and in fact disabling the 2.4 GHz band
actually makes things better where I am, in London, where the 2.4 GHz band is
completely and totally choked.

My biggest gripe with current consumer stuff is it’s all pretty dire in terms
of flexibility and security.  Running your own box overcomes that but it’s not
for the faint of heart.  However, even I will eventually need a new access
point, and in that case I will probably just go with the Netgear Nighthawk.  My
only gripe about that is it doesn’t let you use multiple VLANs when it is in
bridge mode, so you can’t run your own custom guest network or hotspot, which
is something I’ve always wanted to do but probably never will, LOL.

list.

caraqu...@caraquinn.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/C7361648-F3B2-4AD2-80C3-7711978B3752%40me.com.