From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Blouch
Sent: Tuesday, 23 February 2010 8:48 a.m.
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: After I Phone is paired

My understanding is that each phone is tied to a specific provider for
whatever country it is sold in. So while other providers might allow
tethering, in the US AT&T is the sole iPhone provider, and they do not
currently allow it. Bringing in a phone from outside the US to the US means
it will still try to use the provider it was shipped with. So for France
that would be Orange and you would enjoy international roaming charges as
your local 3G provider would backbill orange for hauling your traffic back
to them. Full list of countries and who has the lock on them can be found
here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-iph
one-service-providers

Now you know why so many people jailbreak their phones. My US iPhone was
pretty much useless on a recent trip to Madrid with crazy international
roaming rates if it so much as tickled the local 3G network.

CB

Frank Ventura wrote:

If you buy an unlocked IPhone from overseas is tethering enabled?
Frank