Unfortunately, the answer is, “I’m sorry Andrew, I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

The problem is that the AirPort Express supports the STA (station) proxy mode,
wherein each Ethernet and Wi-Fi device connected to the extension is proxied to
your existing network as a Wi-Fi station itself. This is how most “repeater”
products still work. It’s particularly awesome when you’ve got an Ethernet-only
device and want it talking to your wireless network.

The Time Capsule and Extreme never had this functionality. Instead, you use WDS
(Wireless Distribution System) if you want a wireless backbone. That requires
support from both sides of the bridge, but worse, it impairs performance for
anybody connected to the extender, by exactly half for every traversal through
a bridge.

If you can get your Netgear to use WDS, that’s the way. Otherwise you’ll have
to use an Ethernet backbone or purchase a different extender. Sorry about that.
 Ethernet is always preferable, of course, but it’s not always practical.

The way that you get to the setup mode of the Extreme is to reset it. When you
join the network either on macOS or in iOS, you’ll get a special
AirPort-specific setup regime.

I will miss my AirPort product when it finally dies. But I think I’ll be moving
to Netgear’s Nighthawk for a simple base station arrangement in the traditional
style. The Time Capsule is rendered obsolete as soon as the internal hard disk
dies, and that’s already happened to me once. Time to move on, I fancy, and
remember the good times.

Cheers,
Sabahattin

list.