Well, I want to agree with Brad and Jason. It's essentially what I'm
planning to do sometime next spring when the (hopefully) M3 laptops are
released.

I do have some caveats, however.

For instance this next time around I plan to rely a bit more on folders
even for grouping applications. I am slowly, ever so slowly learning to
use Native Instruments. But, I hate the way NI simply installed itself
at /Applications. I plan to push my reinstall of NI into a "Native
Instruments" folder just to help me manage things more efficiently. I'll
probably do something similar with all the Google docs I'll inevitably
also install.

What I'm unsure about is how to manage the sound fonts that I will be
adding. iCloud would be inefficient for those--yet that seems to be
where they ended up on the first go around (on my 2020 era Intel Mini).
One option I'm mulling is a fast external drive with 4, or maybe even
more Tb. That would keep those all important data files available to any
Mac I might use with NI--even the old Intel Mini!

The only remaining issue I see so far is how to bring over the various
specific configurations I have created over the years. Much as I would
like the ease of simply restoring them, I suspect the smarter move is to
simply accept the time commitment required to configure the new machine
app by app starting with some of the fundamentals like Internet
settings, then ssh (and related security).

Frankly I have not always done this, because it does take time. My three
current Linux machines all contain configurations copied across multiple
installs of multiple Linux versions going back a good 20 years. I'm
convinced some of the problems I have on those systems, while not
numerous, are nevertheless hidden somewhere in all those upgrades.

Best,

Janina

--

Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)