Dear Donna, Jeff, All:

I have been intentionally buying from several different vendors for
reasons of research relating to developing guidance to the wider
industry through World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) publications where I'm
involved on behalf of accessibility concerns. While it's been a often
frustrating process for me, this has yielded some useful
conclusions--but that's all I think I need to say on that aspect of your
question.

Here's the important point ...

Once whatever devices you install are installed and configured via your
smart device, (phone, Ipad, etc), your accessibility is going to work.
Getting to that point can be a significant challenge.

Whether it's the Apple Home interface, or even Google Home running on
your IOS device, you'll know whether the light is on, and you'll be
easily able to toggle them on and off. The phone endpoint of this
technology works well. Siri, Google Assistant, Alexa, Curtana, any one
of these can also be your friend if you prefer to speak.

The trick is getting things to that point, and that's where the problems
live. You mention the challenge of wiring installations as a concern
over Jeff's strategy. Well the software from the various manufacturers
that you need to use to configure lightbulbs, switches, thermostats,
etc., etc., is all over the map from an accessibility point of view.

Phillips is a good choice for this reason. But you need to plan for yet
another small device sitting on a shelf somewhere, because your phone
needs to talk to it, and then it talks to Phillips Hue bulbs.
Fortunately this is a pretty accessible path by all reports. I didn't go
there personally.

There are lightbulbs that will undoubtedly meet your needs, and there
are dizzying combinations and versions each of which seemingly uses a
different app for initial configuration before you get to the point of
handing off control to the home app.  If you experience a longish power
option, you may need to use that app again to restore the configuration.
This happened to me a couple months ago when our power was out for
around 7-8 hours.

There is good news on the horizon summarized nicely in this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2022/01/11/ces-2022-matter-and-thread-win-the-iot-connectivity-wars/

My conclusion, wait and look for devices that say they support Thread
and Matter. That's hardly anything on the shelf today, but this should
change pretty soon. Meanwhile, all the old, not at all accessible app
based direct wifi devices will stay on the shelves until someone buys
them, even if they're a decade olde. You really don't want to go there,
unless you have enough vision left to deal with not very accessible
middleware apps.

You need to identify your needs. You need a certain amount of light? Buy
a bulb and put it in a lamp. This is a small investment to test whether
the 60 watt LED really is less light than the old fashioned 100 watt
incadescent. My guess is that it will work fine--but you need to judge.

Beyond that, I suspect your goal is to be able to control them. For me,
with no usable vision over such things, it has to do with control in my
entryway for delivery people, and with another lamp for lighting Zoom
calls in the evening.

Whatever your scenario, you also need to plan for how you manage
reconfiguration in software because sooner or later you'll need to deal
with that. You may not need to physically screw in the bulb all over
again, but you will sooner or later need to reconfigure the connection
to your very accessible Apple (Google or Microsoft) aggregating app,.

I hope this makes sense! Feel free to write any questions.

PS: My education started with a thermostat. I had a Nest 2 installed.
Last winter, when it lost network connectivity because of a slightly
longish Internet outage in my building, I was very cold. Rebooting the
thermostat required managing an inaccessible touch screen on the device.
Recharging its battery meant taking it off the wall and finding the
USB-A port inside. Not very blind friendly.

Long story short, I chucked the Nest 2 and went to a Nest 3. Now, when I
go down, and that happens a couple times a year though not often, I
simply pull it off the wall, test the pair of AAA batteries that power
it, and replace it onto the wall where it's connected to my HVAC system.
Takes maybe a minute or two and the heat is back on.

Best,

Janina

--

Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)