Thanks, Jason.  I just read Scott Davert’s review from 2021, and he did mention
that.  I’d love to get a demo, just to evaluate the braille cells before I make
a purchase decision.  But I sure do like the price tag a lot better than the
one for the Activator, which is the only other qwerty contender for me
currently, since I can’t use the thumb keys on the Mantis.
Cheers,
Donna

> On Mar 23, 2024, at 10:20 AM, 'Jason J.G. White' via MacVisionaries
> <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 23/3/24 09:07, 'Donna Goodin' via MacVisionaries wrote:
>> I am still on a quest to find a braille display with a qwerty keyboard,
>> and I just saw that Orbit is about to release a forty cell display with a
>>  qwerty keyboard.  I’d love to hear about people’s experience with the
>> Orbit reader.  I realize it won’t be the new display, but I do remember
>> that at least early on, people had a lot of negative things to say about
>>  the Orbit reader.  Is that still the case?  In the blurb I read, it
>> said it’s compatible with Voiceover.  Has anyone used an Orbit with
>> either a Mac or an iPhone?
> As I recall, in an interview several years ago, Orbit Research acknowledged
> reliability difficulties with their braille cell technology, but claimed
> these problems had been rectified. To what extent that's true, I am not in
> any position to verify independently.
>
> Orbit's cells are also noisier and slower to refresh than Piezoelectric
> cells. I prefer the latter, but there are people who prefer Orbit Research
> cells.

> list.

> caraqu...@caraquinn.com

> ---