From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Nicolai Svendsen
Sent: 20 April 2010 21:20
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Article from the RNIB about the IPad

Hi,

I'm a bit confused here.

"It is just a shame that VoiceOver is switched off by default, meaning it
has to be activated before the iPad can be used." and "It would have been a
real bonus had the iPad been accessible out of the box.  Unfortunately, this
was not quite the case."

These views are kind of strange and puzzling to me. It seems a weird
definition of "out of the box". It's a mainstream product. That'd make it
too confusing for a sighted user using the iPad if VoiceOver was on by
default. And, by all rights, it shouldn't be on by default, as it is a
product not geared "specifically" towards blind people. That's the only
thing I found kind of odd, but otherwise, pretty nice.

Regards,
Nic
Mobile Me: nic2...@me.com
Skype: Kvalme
MSN Messenger: nico...@home3.gvdnet.dk
AIM: cincinster
yahoo Messenger: cin368
Facebook Profile
My Twitter

On Apr 20, 2010, at 6:46 PM, marie Howarth wrote:

> I would agree with you John. as a total VI user of an IPhone, I don't
think they praised the screen reader enough. And its that point of the
accessibility out of the box that has wound me up. I think that could put
users off entirely and let's see, how many products are accessible out of
the box that rNIB promotes readily?
> I'll post a link to my blog I'm writing for you guys to agree or disagree
with me but on the whole, I think its a fair first impressions.

> On 20 Apr 2010, at 17:33, John J Herzog wrote:
>
>> Thanks for passing this article along. I think that, for the most part,
this article was fair. They seem to point out both positives and negatives
of the product which is good.
>> The only area where I have some problems with the article, is that they
made to big of a deal about activating voiceover through Itunes. This is not
that hard since it is accessible on both mac and windows, and requires all
of two seconds to do. Other than that, it's pretty good.

>> John
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2010, at 12:18 PM, marie Howarth wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>> Thought I'd put this article out there for everyone to discuss. I will
be writing a blog on my opinions of this article shortly. But here it is for
you all to read.

>>> It's an article done by the RNIB which is the national charity for the
blind in the UK. You need to download the article, its in word format but
will read on text edit and such on the mac.
>>> thanks

http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsightloss/computersphones/Pages/technology_
news_reports.aspx