My boss has a female voice, think it's called Vicky that says the time on
his Imac every hour or when he has an ppointmnet / meeting.
 I find that a nicer voice than Samantha

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of ch...@q.com
Sent: Saturday, 24 April 2010 6:11 p.m.
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Where Is Samantha, on the Mac?

Brian:
I'm curious:  Isn't Samantha also synthetic?  What about Alex?
I kind of think she has a little smile in her voice, but I honestly find
Eloquence th e easiest to understand.  The old voice that used to be in the
dectalk was pretty good, and I don't think anyone's using that except NOAA
all hazards radio.
I din't think the macbook pro even has Samantha on it as an option.
Anyhow, interesting topic to me.  Thanks
Carolyn
On Apr 23, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Bryan Smart wrote:

> Samantha sounds completely emotionless to me. I know that synthesizer
intonation only approximates the change in pitch that happens as a person
reads, but Samantha has one of the worst intonation models that I've ever
heard. No matter if she is pausing at the end of a clause, making a
statement, asking a question, or speaking with exclamation, she always
speaks the same way. She starts high, slowly starts to drop in pitch, and
has an abrupt drop when she reaches the end of a sentence or a clause
boundary. All other modern synths, from Alex, to the old Macintalk voices,
to DECtalk, to Eloquence, and even junk stuff like ESpeak can use intonation
that changes a little depending on what it is reading. Samantha sounds
completely flat and detached. Add to that she sounds like an annoyed person
that smokes heavily, and I think she's a crap voice. It really bugs me that
she is becoming the default voice for so many blind-people devices. If we
had to use a Scansoft voice, Tom would be better. At least Tom modulates. A
synthetic voice would be more expressive.