The article says
----------
During the last two decades, Nokia has invested approximately EUR 40 billion
in research and development and built one of the wireless industry's
strongest and broadest IPR portfolios, with over 11,000 patent families.
----------

Not 11,000 patents, but 11,000 patent families. Probably way, way more patents.

Microsoft, Apple, and IBM also have patent libraries that you wouldn't believe.
They're held in reserve like strategic nuclear weapons. If you make a widget
with a button on it, IBM probably owns a patent, coiling kinetic energy storage
system to inhibit task activation, I.E. the spring in your button. If you use a
membrane panel instead, Nokia probably owns a patent, polymer device for
inhibiting closed electrical circuit through conical relief cells. You might
not know that, and go on building your widgets for a while. They might not even
care. One day, though, if they want you out of business, they'll show up,
demand a licensing fee for your springs, and, if you don't pay, they'll file
and injunction and take away your springs. If you switch to membranes, they'll
sue your supplier for patent infringement. If you think that sounds crazy, then
you'll have to prove it in court. By the time you do, you'll be out of money,
and they'll be back to business as usual.

Although, after going after Nokia with some silly obvious patents, Apple
deserves to get a little taste of its own medicine. Nokia doesn't expect to
win. They are just telling Apple that, if they don't drop their claims, Nokia
can make life very unpleasant for them.

The patent system needs to die. It's just a way to shut the small guy out while
giving the big boys tools to use for threatening each other and forming
alliances of threat.

Bryan