Hello Cathy,

There are lots of text navigation commands in VoiceOver but you must interact
with the text for them to work.

VO-a does read from current position and VO-b reads from the beginning.
However, you can read by sentence and by paragraph, too.

You can also go to next colour change, or next attribute change, next
misspelled word, and so on.

You can find all these commands by doing VO-h twice and looking through the
Text menu.

Remember that you can always lock the VO keys with VO-semicolon to reduce the
number of keys you need to hold down.

Cheers,

Anne