You can use the commands for selecting text while in a message,
(option-shift-arrows for words, command-shift-arrows for larger chunks of
text), press command-c, navigate to another message, and use command-v to
paste. I've been doing this in the preview pane. You can press command-1 while
inside an open message to switch to the message list and then paste into a new
message.

Teresa