Simon, it is usable, but you may not actually want to use it.  I had an iPad,
and I tried this stuff, but I didn't do it a lot, and I haven't tried it in a
while, so I'll probably make some mistakes in my description. There will
undoubtedly be some iPad people that tell me that I overlooked something.
That's fine, but here is the general idea.

So, you want to put a file on your iPad to edit while you're away from home.
You know that you can't just hook up the iPad to the computer and copy the file
over, as the iPad security doesn't allow that.

Here is what you must do. You must add the file to iTunes, including, I think,
marking it for sync. Then, you must start a sync of your iPad with iTunes. When
that completes, you need to go in to the iWork program on the iPad that you
want to use, like Pages, and locate the document. Except, you can't use it
right away. You must import the document in to Pages (I think it converts it or
something).

Now, you can edit all you want.

However, when you get back home, and want to print it, you must go through the
process in reverse. You have to go in to Pages on the iPad, load your document,
export it to a regular document, hook up to the Mac, sync with iTunes, and then
get it back in to your Word Processor.

Basically, while iPad and iPhone programs can save and load files, they only
have access to the files that they specifically create, or that are brought in
to them through a sync with iTunes or over the Internet. Programs on the iPad
and iPhone can't access any file that was created by another program on the
same device, nor can they share their files with other iPad/iPhone programs.
You also can't access any documents or files that a program makes from a
computer, unless that program is authorized to sync through iTunes. That's why
programs like the Daisy book reader can't let you transfer books directly to
your device. They must waste time with built-in FTP servers or store files
remotely on a server somewhere. For the most part, I don't need to do the sort
of things with a phone to where this is a big enough of a pain to me, and so I
use an iPhone. However, for most computing tasks, this is way too much of a
lock down. I mean, if Apple wants to lock up the programs, that's one thing,
but they should at least have a common place on the iPhone/iPad where programs
can store and share files with each other. Like I said, if I can only get a
voice memo out of the voice memo recording program by using its built-in
function to e-mail it to me, then I'll deal, but trying to undertake large
projects on one of these devices is a frustrating activity that I'd never
recommend. These devices just are not made for producing content. They're meant
to be very nice Internet terminals.

Bryan