From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 10:36 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: the unix shell and mac terminal

Hi
Over the past few weeks I have been running vinux 3.0 lucid in a virtual
machine and have been playing with it. And then recently I went into the
terminal on my mac in snow leopard and typed some commands and surprisingly
I find that most of the commands I can perform in vinux I can also do with
the terminal or the mac's unix shell. It's really cool. The only difference
I can see in the mac is that it uses the darwin kernel while vinux uses the
linux kernel. Oh and guys if you go into a terminal in your mac and type:
man ls
you can even read the unix man pages there. The only thing that doesn't work
is apt-get command. I'm not sure if dpkg works or not, I haven't tried it.
I'll try right now. Well guys dpkg also does not work. The mac's shell
reminds me very much of vinux 3.0 lucid though.
If you type
uname -a
it will tell you the kernel version among other things.
If you type:
man ls
it will bring up the man page for the ls list directory command. to quit the
man pages just press the letter q,. To close terminal hit command q. You can
even hit tab and it will autocomplete commands for you. I imagine the unix
shell is very powerful, even on the mac. And I'm glad mac uses the bash
shell. Vinux uses it too. I doubt voxin would work on the mac since voxin I
think is compiled for the linux kernel and not the darwin version10 kernel.

Josh Kennedy
jkenn...@gmail.com