The rss information was a little incomplete because rss can also contain enclosures to podcasts as well as articles. Podcasts people subscribe to with rss as part of their url are actually carried by the rss protocol through enclosures.On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Chris Blouch wrote: The site panix.com isn't charging extra for usenet access and has a pretty good selection of feeds too.
USENET News is a very old service where folks can read and reply to messages in a thread using NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol). The discussions are broken down into topic and sub topics with dots inbetween such as comp.sys.mac.games or the like. Adding or removing topics is done through a moderation process and every post to a newsgroup server in one location is replicated to all the other ones. The content is generally not moderated so in recent years the topic areas have become rife with porn, spam and pirated software. Because of this, and the large volume of data on the comp.binaries branch, some service providers have decided to discontinue their usenet news servers or charge an additional fee for access. A newsgroup reader application allows your mac to 'subscribe' to one or more discussion branches so you can post or reply to messages, if you have access to a newsfeed server.

An RSS feed reader is something else. A site can choose to publish a summary of changed articles in a specialized XML format, usually RSS or Atom. This file usually contains a time-ordered list of article titles and summaries to which you can subscribe. Any time the site adds a new article, a new entry is made in the 'feed' and your feed reader polls the site to let you know when there are updates. In theory the site could put the entire content of the article in the feed but usually the intent is to snack and click through to anything interesting. The feeds can also do pruning such as keeping only the latest 30 items in the feed or offering multiple feeds covering different areas on their site.

Hope this helps.

CB

marie Howarth wrote:
 I have no idea what the difference is.