Hi Simon,

I replied earlier to your question about the BlueAnt Q1:
"the BlueAnt Q1 can pair to the iPad and also relay VoiceOver (with the Firmware upgrade support of A2DP)."

Which version of the firmware do you have installed? The first version to support VoiceOver is version 8.19. The current firmware version is 8.21. BlueAnt started putting the newer firmware into Q1 headsets manufactured after about November 2009, so some people who bought this device in January (in the States, directly from AT&T) said they did not have to install any firmware updates to have this work with VoiceOver. I had to update a BlueAnt Q1 headset purchased in November so that it could work with VoiceOver. It had firmware version 8.15. I know that I can hear VoiceOver on the BlueAnt Q1 with firmware updated to 8.21 on the iPad, on my iPod Touch 3G (only after the upgrade to iOS 4), and on the iPhone 4. I don't know about trying this out with Skype, since this is a headset I set up for someone else. On my iPod Touch I need to use my headset with Mic for other recording functions, so I don't know whether the Q1 works with Skype for microphone input over Bluetooth. And on the iPad, there's an internal mic, so you don't need to use the Bluetooth headset.

Geoff Waaler is on this list, and provided a link to the Q1 firmware upgrade (on the viphone list), since otherwise you need to register at the BlueAnt site with your serial number to access a copy, and that requires sighted assistance. This has to be used on a Windows machine, and should update to the latest version of the firmware, even if that was the release for firmware 8.19.

So bottom line is that you can hear VoiceOver through the Q1 for the iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3G (upgraded to iOS 4), and iPad if you have firmware version 8.21 (and possibly even 8.19), but I don't know whether the iPad supports using the BlueAnt Q1 through Skype.

HTH. Cheers,

Esther