Sounds like you might have the option to speak text under the mouse
after a delay.  I can't remember if this is in the Universal Access
setting, or Voice Over settings or both.

This can be a nice feature won for partially sighted folks as when
they hover the mouse over a specific paragraph, the computer will
speak that text.
Jon