Hi,

there is yet another way to navigate by headings, links, etc. press the left
and right arrows together to turn on quick nav. this will allow you to navigate
without using the vo keys which are control option. so instead of using control
option right arrow to move to the next element, you just hit right arrow. It
will let you edit text fields, doesn't interfere with the letters.
When in quick nav mode. you can press the right and up arrows together to go
right on the rotor described before, and the left and up arrows to go left.
then, you just hit down or up arrow and you will be in the next of that
element; eg tables, links, etc. You are just there, don't have to press enter
to find it.
Something else with quick nav. Pressing the right and down arrows together lest
you interact just like control option shift down arrow, and the left and down
arrows together stops interacting like control option shift up arrow.
Oh, another method I forgot is the trackpad commander. If you are using a
macbook or have a trackpad, you can turn it on by pressing control option and
turning two fingers on the trackpad clockwise like a dial. then, you can
navigate by flicking left or right or by moving your finger down the trackpad
and touching the different elements on the screen.
to use the rotor, turn two fingers clock or anti clockwise on the trackpad
until you find the element you want, then flick up or down and you will be on
the previous or next instance of that element just like with quick nav.
also, to interact, flick right with two fingers and to stop interacting flick
left with two fingers.

hope this helps and welcome to the list and to the world of the wonderful mac
and voiceover.

rafaela