Hi Andre:
Actually, the problem resolved itself overnight, without ghost-busters or even
mac-busters.  The mailbox returned this morning. (creepy!:)  And the other
stuff I can get by dumpster-diving in my trash-mail.  (Now that's scary!
In any case, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep this in case it happens
again.
Carolyn H