When ever I've scene logic board failiers on drives it's usually been
no power at all, but hey, who knows.
The reason I suggested using usb was so that we could rule out the
motherboard and so that if the os was for some very strange reason
sending ata commands to power the drive down it wouldn't be able to
since you can't do that over usb.

At any rate, storage is really cheap these days, so if you don't mind
playing with internals, you could just put a new drive in there and
see what happens. Chances are it'll be a 5400RPM drive in there atm,
so you will see a performance boost if you go up to a 7200.