Hi Nektarios,

If you are willing to consider DVD ripper programs that are not freeware, you
might try the pro version of Metakine's DVDRemaster ($49.99; standard version
is $39.99):
http://www.metakine.com/
This commercial software is accessible with VoiceOver, and will run about three
times faster than Handbrake, as well as providing other features, such as
encoding separate audio tracks, and handling multiple language tracks, etc. You
could download the trial version and experiment with this for yourself.  I'm
not much of a DVD movie user myself, but DVDRemaster Pro is the preferred
solution for some users on the mac-access list who have converted their DVDs to
keep the media on their computers as you outline here.  (This includes the list
owner of mac-access, who provided feedback to the developer to improve
accessibility of what was already a pretty accessible product to start out
with.) If you have questions about the program, you could join the mac-access
list and pose them directly. Here's the web page that describes the mailing
lists and signup procedure for mac-access.net:

HTH. Cheers,

Esther