Hi Steph,

I too am using tthe tryal version of FineReader express and have never gotten
it to work, so this suggestion may be worth every penny you paid for it :).

Disclaimer aside, I believe you need to select your scanner in the menu
associated with "get images from".  If your only choice is "file" then either
you don't have a Twane scanner, or the software supporting your scanner is not
recognized by ABBYY.  Once your scanner is selected, pressing a button such as:
"convert to text document" should activate your scanner.  Except on my system
where it consistently hangs up even though I have a twane compatible device.

Hope you get further than I have so far.
Geoff