I agree with Dane. I recently started using Abby FineReader, and have found it
to be an excellent solution on the Mac. It's not tailored to the visually
impaired specifically, but it does work quite well. The US retail price of Abby
FineReader is $99, and there is a trial available from their web site.

        HTH.