Sorry for my partial post, I managed to hit the send key LOL.

Yeah, I was saying... do a low level format. I believe Mac OS X does
it when you set security options to write 0's over it. Either that, or
I just checked, and OS X does have the dd utility built into it. You
can load up the terminal, and I believe (it used to work on Linux), a
command like the following should perform a complete reformat of the
drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/your_hard_drive

HTH, and I'm a little out of date iwth this stuff, so I could be
talking absolute rubbish, so sorry if that is the case! :-D