Actually, lets discuss this a little there are some interesting points here.

The largest limiter is spectrum.  Each tower only has so much bandwidth
(literal bandwidth) that it can use.  This means you can only push so many
megabits over all for everyone on a given facility.  The more spectrum you have
the more send and receive sessions you can have in parallel but the key thing
to remembr it's a shared resource.  As these companies use new technologies you
also notice they add more spectrum in different bands.  The newer technologies
have more bands and use spectrum differently as well as more frequency space
but the end result is more bandwidth and more efficient use of the available
room.  So the more pipe that's available, the more spectrum and better the
technology you can use more devices in the same allocated resource level so you
can give users more slices to use or drop costs, any combination of moves based
on the larger facility.

As for ATT and Verizon in the states, try them both.  Don't just assume that
ATT sucks and VZ does not.  I did this and was proven quite wrong.  ATT is 2 -
3 times faster and has some more advanced calling features do to the different
technologies used.  VZ is good no doubt but has problems as well and in the end
it depends on the specific geography you will be using your device.  I would
definitely try both side by side though, it's not as cut and dry as you make it.

Thanks
Scott