When I open the remote app on the iPhone, I wait until I hear VO on
the Apple TV and then I use tripple-click home to turn off VO on the
phone.  When the remote app is open on the phone, there are three
buttons on the bottom.  From left to right they are option (which I
pretty much never use), menu (basically a back button), and
play/pause.  The rest of the phone screen is just a scroll area.  I
just move my finger around it to navigate around the TV screen, and I
definitely get better results when VO on the phone is off.  When you
get to a place where you can type (like a search field), the phone
will vibrate and the keyboard comes up on the phone.  Then I turn VO
back on and just use touch typing to type in what I want.  Then click
the hide button in the top left corner of the home screen to get rid
of the keyboard and you can turn VO off on the phone again.  This
works great for me, much better than the remote included with the
Apple TV.

Eric