Hey all. I figured out a few days ago how to make Adium behave like WLM or
Miranda on the PC. However, this option doesn't use Voice Over to read messages
or status updates, it just uses whatever voice you're using regardless if Voice
Over is on or not. To enable this option, go into the Adium preferences with
CMD+Comma and select notifications. Then, interact with the events table.
You'll see stuff like contact signs on or off, message sent and received, and
so on. So select whatever events that matter to you and expand that event with
VO+backslash. When expanded, you should see rows on those tables that say play
a sound and what not. Select that row and hit enter. Then you'll be in a dialog
box containing all sorts of stuff you can have Adium do with the selected
event. In this case, we want Adium to speak the event. So when you see a pop up
button in the action dialog box, in that pop up menu, select "speak event."
Keep doing this until you have all the events you want spoken. Hope this helps
and happy chatting! :)

Shawn