If turning on Trackpad commander by the rotate gesture on the trackpad, then
doing the three finger double tap doesn't bring VO back, then type F12 to bring
up the volume as it might be muted.  F9 is the Toggle to Mute/UnMute sound by
the way.

On May 23, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Caitlyn Furness wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope somebody here can help with this problem.
>
> I am trying to get my husband, Mark's mac to talk again.   Voiceover is
> running, but I think the speech is muted.  I attached my braille sense to it
> so I could tell what was going on, and it looks like the check box in the
> voice over utility to mute speech is *not* checked, yet it's still stubbornly
> silent, except that when I turn it off, then back on again, it says voiceover
> on, speech off.  Unfortunately, it's a stupid holiday here in Canada, so I
> can't call apple.
>
> Is there a shortcut key to mute speech that I am not aware of? Anybody got a
> way to fix this?
>
> Mega thanks!
>
> Caitlyn
> ps-Mark says he didn't hit any keys to make the computer mute and was just
> trying to quit safari when it happened.

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Pete Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda