Hi Kary:
This really sounds like an issue to consult Apple's tech support about.
Someone there might be able to point you to a more long term solution.  I don't
know if you have tried doing a search of the Apple site for the issue, but it
might be worth a look.

Best of luck, and I hope you don't end up having to take your Mac in.